Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Assignment #3 (required)

As a teacher, collecting resources that will enhance the learning experience and make the classroom function more smoothly are great to know about because the students will be more willing to learn and more excited to interact in their learning. For the teacher there are some fantastic online sites that help incorporate technology into how you give quizzes, home, and much more. While exploring the web for some great sources I needed to have a location that would hold and organize these sites. For my teacher toolbox I used delicious to compile all the wonderful sites that I discovered. I placed my toolbox on the blog but for a direct link click here to view the bookmarks.

When it came organizing the toolbox I tried to organize the sites by the subjects that are focused on in the various websites. There are tags dealing with math, art, English, even games, and a tag for sites for teachers. I chose these sites only after testing the sites and seeing if there were ways to use them in the classroom or in the homes of the students. All the sites are free of charge, which is nice for everyone. I looked for websites that were fun and exciting, while still teaching the lessons. I know I will use my toolbox in the classroom and for creating lesson plans. I could even post the link to my toolbox on my apple account for other teachers who also have apple will be able to view it and use my toolbox.

My toolbox will be a great place to go and find materials, for example one of the sites I found let's you create math flashcards, the site is Aplusmath, there is also a link called homework helper that you plug in a math problem and the answer, then it double checks if the answer is correct. That will be great for students who's parents do not understand how to complete the math or if the students don't want to bother anyone they may go online and check their homework. Another great website is Quizstar. This is a site that you need to create an account, but it's free! Once you have an account you are able to create quizzes for your students. The students also has a login and then they add your class, then they will be able to take quizzes online. This is really neat and I think I would use it in my classroom and you don't even need to put in the students full last name just the first letter. It is similar to how some of the teachers at Northwest have online quizzes. My third favorite website is all about children's books, you can select a book and either read it on your own or have it read to you. They even provide a place where you may create your story book. I have not done this yet but it looks really fun. In the classroom, students could create their own book based on a subject that they are learning in class.

No comments:

Post a Comment