Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Reflection #5

While I was researching for artist for my visual arts methods class I found this really neat website called, The Artist's Toolkit. This "toolkit" is a way to introduce the various elements and principles of art. They explain what the element or principle means and how to create it. Then the students have to label three different pictures, showing where the element or principle is or describe what part of the elements or principle is in the picture.

As I played around with the website I enjoyed how they explain the elements and principles, even the picture labeling was great. What I think that the site lacks is the ability for the students be truly creative because they can only use the shapes provided to make their drawing, for example squares, ovals, circles, rectangles, which can made the artwork feel too structured and not smooth. Even through this down side the students can still learn a great deal about art and it will be an asset in the classroom.

1 comment:

  1. Even though I'm not elementary (which this seems like it might be better for) I find this site SUPER fun! Even if I have no good reason to use it in the classroom, I would totally have fun going through the site myself.

    Did you think of any lessons/assignments/projects/activities that you could use this site for specifically?

    You could totally use this to add to your Instructional Design model/guided practice lesson!!!

    ReplyDelete